Mayor Bowser and the Mayor’s Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) Affairs provides grant funding on an annual basis to eligible LGBTQ community-based organizations via a competitive application process. In FY2018, a combined $75,000 in grant funding was awarded to six community-based organizations that serve LGBTQ homeless youth and families in Washington, DC.” The grants are intended to strengthen the organizational capacity, support leadership development, and ensure sustainability among nonprofits serving LGBTQ youth and young adults in DC. Grants were made in amounts between $10,000 and $15,000.
“We look forward to partnering with these community organizations to serve the needs of our LGBTQ youth,” said Mayor Bowser. “Our DC values include making homelessness rare, brief, and nonrecurring, and we will continue this work until every resident has a safe place to call home.”
The Fiscal Year 2018 LGBTQ Community Grant awardees are:
- Anacostia Coordinating Council will provide peer mentoring and coaching, linking youth with supportive services to transition out of homelessness.
- Metro DC Community Center Inc. will help eliminate barriers that LGBTQ youth face to achieve gainful employment through job readiness training.
- The Wanda Alston Foundation will provide mental health and wellness services to clients who are facing homelessness.
- Total Family Care Coalition will provide youth peer support to encourage family reconciliation to homeless LGBTQ youth and young adults through family/natural support.
- Us Helping Us, People Into Living, Inc. will implement their TransDimensional Youth Mentor Program.
- Young Playwrights’ Theater, Inc. will provide an environment that pursues social justice through performing arts.
Fiscal Year 2017 LGBTQ Community Grant Awardees
Fiscal Year 2016 LGBTQ Community Grant Awardees